Monday, October 22, 2007

Weekly round-up: the good, the bad & the ugly!

Ok, so basically this is a round up of all the things I've seen or done in the last week.

First up is typography. There is an exhibition on at Leeds U
ni, which I think is by their first year design communication students. Each student was given the task to produce a large poster about a specific typeface, its history and cultural relevance. The work isn't amazing, but it is quite interesting and well worth checking out seeing as it doesn't cost anything.
Also found out about this guy!
He used to work at a train station somewhere in Japan. During some refurbishment work, the station signs became either misleading or incorrect, so he decided to take things into his own hands and make some DIY signs with gaffer tape. Apparently now he has a job making temporary signs at different public buildings across the country! Good stuff.

Also this week I went to the northern premiere of the Nike sb skateboard video. I find it reassuring that despite having a gigantic budget they still can't get it right. Overall concept, filming, production and music all fell below my expectations. Still nobody can touch the quality of the Girl film from a good few years ago.

Review of gigs I've been to in the last week or so...
Ian Brown was so awful I couldn't actually believe that anybody with a record contract could sing that badly. Also his fans were into singing football chants and throwing beer everywhere between songs. loverly. Happy Mondays were equally as shit. The Editors were mildly entertaining, but at the same time instantly forgettable. Mark Ransome put on a good show, and everybody on stage really looked like they were having a good time, but I couldn't help but think that they reminded me of the sort of band you expect to find on a cruise ship. Not that I've ever been on one, but you get the idea. Enter Shikari were a strange mix of 90's rave and I'm-angry-because-my-parents-are-middle-class-core. A bad mix, which just like a tuna and mayonnaise sandwich, didn't smell good. Last but not least was Jose Gonzales, who, is probably best described as really really good, with an added twist of ace.

Oh, one final thing...
If your excited about illustration you should probably fill this out and upload it to this website. I think I'm going to try and do that this week. You should too!
Later on, xx